There may be a link between grain-free dog foods and heart disease in dogs.
What we know:
- Since July of 2018 the FDA has been investigating a potential link between grain-free dog foods and an increase in canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM).
- DCM happens when the chambers of the heart are enlarged causing it to have less pressure to pump blood through the body.
- DCM is harmful at best, and fatal at worst.
- DCM is most common in larger breeds, but has been found in others that aren’t genetically predisposed.
What you can do:
- Discuss your pet’s dietary needs with your veterinarian.
- Do the research – but make sure you use reputable sources! This article, “FDA Investigation into Potential Link Between Certain Canine Diets and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy” has some detailed information on the study and its findings.
- Take note of the dog food brands listed in the article. If you’re feeding one, consider looking into an alternative.
What foods are safe?
Our doctors recommend 3 brands that we trust. Click HERE to see what those are!